There are many regional variations to this basic recipe.
- 1 cup of white basmati rice, rinsed in a sieve under cold running water
- 1 cup of yellow lentils, picked clear of stones, washed and soaked in water then drained
- 4 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot
- When oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them fry and pop for a second or two
- Immediately add the rice ,lentils and turmeric powder. Stir well to mix
- Add the water and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid ajar
- Lower the heat, partially cover the pot and cook until the rice and lentils are cooked - about 35 minutes
Serve hot with yogurt
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.