Kelifoto fystiki Fthiotidas Κελυφωτό φυστίκι Φθιώτιδας (Fthiotida pistachio)

From Cookipedia

Kelifoto fystiki Fthiotidas Κελυφωτό φυστίκι Φθιώτιδας

POP/ΠΟΠ Kelifoto fystiki Fthiotidas Κελυφωτό φυστίκι Φθιώτιδας is an excellent pistachio of the pistachia vera species. 95% of production is accounted for by the kilarati variety and the remaining 5% by the Fundukati, Nihati and Megalokarpi varieties. The kernels are green. Crop weight exceeds 94 grammes per 100 pistachios. Open-closed percentage greater than 97%. The nuts are dried either naturally or mechanically. Maximum salt content 7%. Maximum citric acid content 1.5%.

Geographical area: The municipalities and communes of the Fthiotida prefecture in which the POP/ΠΟΠ Kelifoto fystiki Fthiotidas Κελυφωτό φυστίκι Φθιώτιδας are produced are as follows: Dhomokou province: Communes: Ag. Stefanos, Agrapidia, Ahladea, Vardalis, Velesioton, Vouziou, Gavrakion, Ekkara, Thavmakou, Koromilea, Perivoli, Polidendriou, Mandasia, Poumari, Nea Makrisi, Neo Monastiri, Sofiada, Xiniada. Lokridhos province: Municipalities: Amfiklia, Atalandis, Elatia, Kammenon Vourlon. Communes: Ag. Marina, Ag. Paraskevi, Ag. Triados, Ag. Konstandinos, Ag. Serafeim, Ag. Haralambos, Agnandis, Akritsa, Goulemiou, Exarhou, Kenourgiou, Kalopodi, Kato Tithorea, Kolakas, Komninis, Kyparisiou, Larymni, Lefkohori, Livanandon, Malesina, Martinou, Megaplatanou, Modhiou, Molou, Skorfeia, Sfaka, Tithorea, Traganas. Fthiotida province: Municipalities: Lamia, Macracomi, Sparkhiada, Stylida, Ypati. Communes: Aghia Marina, Aghios Gherghios, Alépospita, Avlaki, Akhinos, Akhladi, Vathykilo, Vardatès, Vassilica, Vitoli, Ghiannitso, Ghlyfa, Ghrammeni, Damasta, Dyovouna, Ziffio, Iraclia, Thermopyles, Callithéa, Cambia, Caravomylos, Castri, Clonio, Comma, Combotadès, Costalexis, Ladico, Lianocladi, Lefcada, Lygharia, Macri, Mexiatès, Mésopotamias, Moskhokhorio, Néo-Crikélo, Néraïda, Paléokéressia, Pélasghia, Périvoli, Platystomo, Ptéléa, Rakhès, Roditsa, Rodania, Spartia, Stavros, Styrfaca, Syca Ypatis, Frantzi, Ftéri.

Evidence : Pistachios were first cultivated in the Fthiotida prefecture in the forties and fifties and very quickly acquired good renown. Sine then the pistachio has become an established crop across nearly all of the prefecture.

Method of production: The fertilisation and pruning activities, abundant water for summer irrigation and good harvesting, and the other cultivation aspects described in the introductory report, constitute together a very distinctive method of production and ensure an excellent product.

Link : The pistachio has become a traditional crop of the area and makes an important contribution to agricultural income. Gastronomy : The POP/ΠΟΠ Kelifoto fystiki Fthiotidas Κελυφωτό φυστίκι Φθιώτιδας should be kept in a cool and ventilated place. It can be consumed plain, or as ingredient for salads, or prevalently for sweets.

Reference: The European Commission