Jamie Olivers Yorkshire pudding cooked in a frying pan
This method of using a frying pan to cook a Yorkshire pudding comes from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals. The recipe in the book is served with smoked salmon but I'm just using this recipe as a simple way to make a Yorkshire pudding.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 65 g plain flour
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the frying pan and set over a medium heat. If you've added a pinch of black pepper to the oil, add the batter when the pepper begins to sizzle. Don't let the oil smoke
- If you want to add salt, pepper and fresh herbs, add them to the liquidiser now
- Add the eggs, milk and flour to your liquidiser and blitz until perfectly smooth
- Pour the batter into the pan and fry for 30 seconds only. Give the pan a final swirl after the 30 seconds is up to spread the batter to the edges of the pan
- Pop the pan into the oven for about 13 minutes or until cooked to your liking
- Idea from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals
In trying to perfect this imperfect recipe, I've made this almost daily, with slight variations. I would normally cook a Yorkshire pudding for 20 minutes but I guess that would break the 15 minutes rule. Here's my tips for improving this recipe if you have a little more time than Jamie:
- Whisk the batter just long enough to combine, don;t over mix
- Use only plain flour, not self-raising flour or strong bread flour
- Leave the batter mix to rest at room temperature while the oven heats
- Add the olive oil to the pan and leave the pan in the oven while it gets to the correct temperature
- Don't bother heating the batter mix on the stove top
- Cook for 18 minutes at the top of the oven
- Perfect Yorkshire puddings - this is a far better recipe!
- Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals book on Amazon UK
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.