Chili oil recipe
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Hot chilli oil)
You can use almost any dried chillies for this recipe, take a trip to your local ethnic wholesales where you will be able to buy a carrier-bag full of dried chillies for the same price as a silly supermarket bottle - I promise you. You can even use your home grown chillies, though ensure that they are properly dried first or the oil will quickly go mouldy.
Choose your oil carefully, if you want to use the oil as a cold condiment or salad dressing then extra virgin olive oil is great. If you are going to be stir-frying with the oil, then a high temperature oil such as peanut oil is good. Experiment with different oils as they will all impart different flavours.
- 1 cup of the oil of your choosing, see above.
- ¼ to ½ cup of crushed dried chillies
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Heat the oil and chillies in a small pan so the chillies stop sizzleing and the oil is coloured.
- Don't allow the oil to smoke.
- Remove from the heat and add the peppercorns.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Strain the oil through a sieve and then through muslin, cheesecloth or coffee filters.
- Pour into a sterilised bottle and store in a dark cupboard, it does not need to be refrigerated.
You can omit the straining step for an unstrained chilli oil.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.