Homemade pumpkin spice doughnuts
for the doughnuts:'
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 4½ cups all purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of nutmeg,ginger, and cinnamon)
- 1 can low-fat evaporated milk
- Canola oil for deep-frying
for the maple frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and butter.
- Add pumpkin puree, mix in well.
- For the dry ingredients, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- Begin to marry the pumpkin batter and alternate with the evaporated milk, folding in gently.
- Refrigerate the batter to firm for approx 1 hour before kneading.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work-surface and knead well.
- Roll to approximately ¾ inch in thickness.
- Cut with a 2½ doughnut cutter. (Alternatively, cut with the small rim of any glass jar or cup and use a small bottle to cut out the hole.)
- Fry doughnuts and doughnut holes, a few at a time, until golden (approximately 1-2 minutes on each side).
- Remove using a slotted spoon or a spider and allow the excess oil to drain on paper towels.
- For the icing, whisk together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Spread over cooled doughnuts with a teaspoon (place on a wire rack over a sheet tray, if desired).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#pumpkin #doughnuts #homemadepumpkinspicedoughnuts #puree #doughnut #spice #cinnamon #evaporatedmilk #batter #flour #bakingpowder