Very lazy ginger
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Home made lazy ginger)
This is a brilliant product, and although there is no substitute for the real thing, it's pretty close. It lasts forever in the fridge, unlike fresh ginger, and is delicious directly from the bottle. The white wine vinegar it's pickled in takes the harshness off the ginger, making it an irresistible snack while you cook! I notice that it's also a Delia Smith cheat as well. This is a personal recommendation by the way, no marketing involved. Made by EnglishProvender
How to make your own lazy ginger
Since I first wrote this article, I have been making my own lazy ginger with great success. It is simplicity itself. A cookery cheat worthy of Delia herself!
- Peel 2 or 3 tubers and slice into 3mm discs. You can julienne the slices, but I find it easier to judge the amount of ginger to use from slices.
- Pack the slices into a clean sterilised jar.
- Fill with white wine vinegar to cover the ginger.
- Store in a cool cupboard, it seems to last forever.
- Use the vinegar for cooking and salad dressings once the ginger has been used up.
The ginger-flavoured vinegar you are left with is brilliant as a salad or vegetable dressing.
Make ginger paste, freeze it and snap off what you need.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.