Guiso de pescado (Fish stew)
- 4 fish steaks, weighing about 225g each
- 60ml lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of thyme
- 2 or 3 sprigs parsley
- 140ml dry white wine
- 140ml fish stock
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Season the fish steaks, place in a dish and pour the lemon juice over them.
- Allow to stand for an hour, turning occasionally.
- Fry the onions and garlic in a separate pan or a flame-proof casserole.
- Layer the fish steaks, onions, herbs and vegetables in the casserole and top with the sliced potatoes.
- Season and and add the wine and fish stock.
- Drizzle with a littleolive oil
- Bake for 40 minutes, finishing under a hot grill for the last 5 minutes to crisp the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
This was a full meal and did not need any other accompaniment.
Well this recipe turned out to be a bit of a trial. Following the original recipe, it was plain that there would not nearly enough liquid to cover the potatoes which meant that it could never be cooked on the hob. Adding more liquid to accommodate that would have turned it into soup. I decided to oven cook it, except the oven broke down when I tried to use it, so the half finished dish had to be refrigerated and begun again the next day. I decided to par boil the thinly sliced potatoes as I didn't want them to be undercooked. Eventually it was a fantastic tasting (and looking) meal, but probably not as originally intended - the benefit of testing recipes first!
The recipe above is my modified version, you can see the original by viewing the history tab above.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#fish #onions #oliveoil #fishstock #garlic #lemonjuice #parboil #unusualrecipes #sweetpeppers #whitefish #vegetables