Gluten free red wine gravy
It is reproduced courtesy of debbie&andrew's sausages.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 125mls red wine
- 500mls beef stock
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot, made into a thick paste (slurry) with 3 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the red onion and cook on a low-medium heat for approximately 25 minutes, dont allow the onions to burn. After 25 minutes stir in a teaspoon of honey and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Next, turn up the heat and pour in the vinegar, wine and beef stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally add the arrowroot slurry, and stir well to thicken the gravy.
- Add a good twist of black pepper then taste and add salt if necessary. If your beef stock is already salted you wont need any more.
Arrowroot is added at the end of cooking. If it overheats, its thickening powers will be obliterated.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of debbieandandrew.co.uk
Many thanks to debbie&andrew's sausages for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use the their recipes.
#arrowroot #beefstock #honey #redonion #glutenfreeredwinegravy #gravy #blackpepper #vinegar #oliveoil #dairy #wheat