Garlic and cornmeal potato nuggets
These started off as a little experiment and should probably be called potato croquettes or croquette potatoes. Nuggets sound better to me! They worked out well but took a lot longer than I would have thought.
They freeze quite well. Freeze them before they are baked.
- 800 g potatoes - King Edwards are ideal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Big handful of breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- Big handful of yellow cornmeal (optional)
- A few tablespoons of sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 beaten eggs - you can probably get away with one but as we have our own chickens...
- Boil the potatoes whole and unpeeled in salted boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender to the touch
- Drain and allow to cool so they can be handled
- Rub off the skin and discard it
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Add hummus here if you want.
- Add the beaten eggs to a bowl
- Mix the breadcrumbs, sesame seeds and corn meal, season well and spread out on to a plate.
- Lightly grease a baking tray
- Roll the mashed potatoes into long sausage shapes, cut into nuggets, dip each one in the egg wash and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture
- Place on the baking tray leaving some space between each one.
- If you are freezing any, do freeze them now
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour - the time and temperature is not too important as you just want to get them hot and crunchy. Adapt the time and temp to whatever else you are cooking them with.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.