(Redirected from Garlic Chowder recipe)
This is based on a recipe from The Stinking Cookbook, by Jerry dal Bozzo (Celestial Arts), Berkeley, California, 1994 (ISBN 0890877300).
It is a substantial soup with a delicate flavour.
- 60 ml olive oil, plus extra for the garlic
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- ½ head of celery, finely diced
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 5 bulbs garlic, whole
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small rectangles
- 1.5 litres stock made with 6 teaspoons marigold swiss bouillon powder
- 240 ml single cream or yogurt
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3).
- Keeping the bulbs of garlic whole, slice off the tops so that the interior of the individual cloves are exposed.
- Place them in tin foil on a baking tray and pour a little olive oil over each bulb.
- Wrap the foil loosely around them. Bake for an hour to an hour-and-a-half until the cloves are soft and golden. # * Squeeze the cloves out of their skin and reserve.
- Using a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until very hot.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the onions and celery. Stir quickly and reduce the heat.
- Once the oil has cooled a little, add the leeks and a large pinch of sugar and return pan to the heat.
- Allow the mixture to caramelise very slightly, but do not let it burn.
- Add the squeezed garlic, oregano, potatoes and stock.
- Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cream, and warm through, but do not allow to boil.
- Serve and garnish with the chopped parsley.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlicchowder #garlic #potatoes #oliveoil #oregano #onions #stock #leeks #diced #celery #parsley