Fasoul jahnia (White bean salad)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 500 g haricot beans, soaked overnight
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 250 g onions, diced
- 250 g carrots, diced
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 2 Hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 20 Black olives
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A selection of the follwing fresh herbs, finely chopped: mint, Dill, Thyme, Tarragon, Savory
- Drain the beans and put them in a large saucepan.
- Cover them to a depth of 2.5 cm with un-salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook, covered, for 1 hour, skimming the surface of scum from time to time.
- At this stage, I drained the beans and then just refilled with fresh water, just enough to cover the beans.
- Add the garlic, vegetables and a little salt, bring back to the boil and cook for a further hour.
- Drain the beans, stir in the oil, lemon juice, and plenty of black pepper and allow to cool.
- Serve in a shallow dish, sprinkled with the herbs - the quantity is up to you - and garnish with the egg slices and olives.
I used this recipe as an opportunity to use the last of this year's home grown sweet peppers. Raw, de-seeded and chopped and stirred in just before serving.
After the first hour of boiling, the beans had already started to disintegrate so I only boiled the second stage for as long as it takes to cook the carrots (30 minutes).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#herbs #garlic #boil #lemonjuice #diced #dill #salad #haricotbeans #lemon #savory #thyme