A classic Victorian breakfast dish that's also good for a light lunch. Bring it back into fashion, it's brilliant!
- 8 Lamb's kidneys; washed & dried, skinned, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- Pinch of chili powder (or to taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 4 Slices of hot buttered wholemeal toast
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Mix the tomato puree, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and water together
- Add the chili powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper to the flour and mix well
- Roll the chopped kidney in the seasoned flour to coat well
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and when sizzling, add the kidneys and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often
- Add the sauce to the cooked kidneys, simmer, stirring well. It's ready to serve once the sauce has reduced and thickened a little.
Serve on hot buttered toast, garnished with chopped parsley
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#devilledkidneys #parsley #tomatopuree #flour #mustardpowder #chilipowder #worcestershiresauce #redwine #butter #frying #sauce