Devilled herrings (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
Mum had circled this recipe
- 3 level dessertspoons dry mustard
- 2 level tablespoons sugar
- 2 dessertspoons vinegar
- 4 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 4 level tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cloves
- ½ oz margarine
- 5 tablespoons water
- Mix the mustard and sugar to a paste with the vinegar
- Open the herrings flat and spread the mustard mixture on the inside and roll up from the tail end
- Fry the onion, bay leaf and cloves in the margerine in a saucepan until well browned
- Add the rolled up herrings and water and cook very gently for 10 minutes
- Baste the herrings occasionally with the liquid
- When cooked, serve with sweet chutney e.g. Branston
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.