Chocolate and orange cake
For the sponge:
- 1 Seville orange
- 100g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 free range eggs
- 280g caster sugar
- 240ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 25g cocoa powder
- 250g plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
For the ganache:
- 200g plain chocolate , broken into VERY small pieces - place in a plastic bag and bash with a meat mallet.
- 225ml double cream
- 35 g Candied peel
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm/8in round cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Push a skewer through the orange to pierce and boil for 30 minutes until soft.
- Pulse the whole orange in a food processor until it is in small pieces.
- Allow to cool, remove any pips and process further until it is completely puréed.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, sugar and oil.
- Gradually beat in the puréed orange, and then add the cooled melted chocolate.
- Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix well
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 55 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the middle. (Check after 45 minutes and cover with foil if it is browning too much.)
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, put the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.
- Bring the cream to the boil and pour over the chocolate.
- Leave for 2 minutes, and then stir until smooth.
- Set aside until firm enough to spread over the cake - up to 1½ hours.
- Using a palette knife, swirl the ganache over the top.
- Decorate with the candied peel.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chocolateandorangecake #chocolate #orange #sevilleorange #ganache #boil #candiedpeel #bakingpowder #freerangeeggs #groundalmonds #simmering