Chilled watercress and almond soup
Just the thing for a hot July day. To be taken in a shady corner of the garden, and then to sleep...
- 1 pint good quality chicken stock
- 4 spring onions(scallions), chopped on the diagonal
- 2 bunches fresh watercress, washed and chopped
- 6 mint leaves
- 6 fl oz (168 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 4 fl oz (112 ml) single cream
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Skim any excess fat from the chicken stock
- Add to a large pan and bring to the boil, add the spring onions and watercress, reduce the heat and simmer gently
- Add a little of the milk to the ground almonds to make a paste and add the paste to the remaining milk
- Add the milk to the soup and once it has returned to a simmer, stir until the soup begins to thicken slightly
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Once cool enough, blend the soup in a food processor
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.