Chestnut stuffing for roast turkey (Mrs Beeton's)
I would be inclined to serve it as a side-dish, not as actual stuffing for the bird.
- 900 g (2 lb) whole raw chestnuts
- 284 ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- A 'good pinch' of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Oven temperature: 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 80° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Slit the chestnuts
- Roast then in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Allow to cool a little
- Remove both the outer and inner skins, put the chestnuts into a stewpan, add the stock (no more than will barely cover them) and simmer them until they become tender
- Rub through a fine sieve or use a potato ricer or potato masher.
- Add the butter, salt and pepper and use as required.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#chestnuts #butter #roast #miseenplace #potatomasher #vegetablestock #chestnutstuffingforroastturkeymrsbeetons #turkey #chicken #simmer #potatoricer