Rösti is made with potatoes which are grated and, depending on the frying technique, possibly mixed with some butter or fat, or fried in oil later. The grated potatoes are then shaped into rounds or patties, which come in different sizes usually measuring between 3-12 cm (1 to 5 inches) in diameter and 1-2 cm (0.5 inch) thick.
Often the Rösti is simply the same size and shape as the frying pan. They are most often shallow fried but can also be baked in the oven. Although the basic Rösti consists of nothing but potato, a number of additional ingredients are sometimes added, such as bacon, onions, cheese, apples or fresh herbs. It's important to use the right type of potatoes (waxy) to make this dish successfully.
- 450 g (1lb) Desirée or Romano potatoes
- 50 g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, roughly grated
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (mark 7),( 425°F)
- Scrub the potatoes and place in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and cover with boiling water
- Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes
- Drain and allow to cool so they can be handled easily
- Rub the skins off the potatoes and using a course cheese grater, grate into a bowl
- Season with salt and pepper and add the grated cheese
- Shape into patties 7.5 cm (3") round by 1 cm (½") thick
- Dust with a little flour
- Melt the butter and add the oil to the melted butter and brush both sides with the oil mixture
- Cook one side on a baking tray for 15 minutes at the top of the oven, then turn the rosti over and cook the other side for a further 10 minutes (To turn over without damaging or breaking it, put a dinner plate which is larger than the frying pan upside down over the pan. holding the plate tightly to the pan, quickly invert both of them, onto the work top if necessary, then slide the rösti uncooked-side down into the frying pan)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #butter #potato #cheeserasti #flour #oliveoil #bacon #frying #apples #freshherbs #shallowfried