Carrot and onion salad
I wanted a 'pickled' carrot salad, but only had hours to prepare it, not days or weeks, so I came up with this. It worked very well with Baked sea bass (Chinese style). The sultanas really compliment the acidic flavours and the onion adds a clean bite.
- 2 large carrots, topped, tailed, peeled and grated
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced to rings
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- Juice ½ lime
- Big handful of sultanas
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar (optional)
- Arrange the grated carrots in a bowl and pour the vinegar over the carrots
- Set aside and refrigerate for 2 hours or so
- In a separate bowl, refrigerate the onions too, just to keep them chilled
- After 2 hours, rinse the grated carrots for 20 secs under cold runing water. This should remove the harshness of the vinegar, but leave a pickled flavour.
- Leave in a sieve for 5 minutes to drain
- Add the sliced onions and sultanas and lime juice and mix
- Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar if still a little tart
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.