Cardoons in cream
It's almost a certainty that you are growing cardoons if you are looking at this recipe as I have never seen cardoons for sale, even in France or Italy.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1 kg (2 ¼ lb) cardoons
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- Olive oil for greasing
- 100 ml (3.5 fl oz) milk
- 100 ml (3.5 fl oz) double cream
- 40 g (1.5 oz) Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt
- To a large pan, add the lemon juice and a big pinch of salt and set it boiling.
- Remove the leaves and trim the ends, run a mandoline or potato peeler down the back and remove any strings, as you would with old celery.
- Cut the cardoons into 5 cm (2") lengths and drop them into the boiling pan.
- Return to the boil and lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease an oven proof dish with a little olive oil.
- Drain the cardoons and add to the dish.
- Dot with butter and add the milk and heat on the hob on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the double cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.