Braised star anise beef
This slow cooked beef means you can make this with economical cuts of beef. It's very tasty and easy to make.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 450 g (1 lb) cubed stewing steak / chuck steak etc
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water - more if required
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 whole star anise cloves
- Heat the oil in a wok and brown the beef on all sides
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. I prefer to cover the wok whilst simmering, or it does dry out.
- Turn the meat over and add a little more water if the meat is drying out. Remove the cover now so it can reduce a little.
- Simmer for a further 45 minutes
- If it is too wet, just turn the heat up for a few minutes and reduce a little. I think this should be quite dry, as pictured.
- Remove from the wok, discarding the star anise, keep warm and rest for 5 minutes
This would be good cold too, maybe with a salad.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.