Braised star anise beef
This slow cooked beef means you can make this with economical cuts of beef. It's very tasty and easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 450 g (1 lb) cubed stewing steak / chuck steak etc
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water - more if required
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 whole star anise cloves
- Heat the oil in a wok and brown the beef on all sides
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. I prefer to cover the wok whilst simmering, or it does dry out.
- Turn the meat over and add a little more water if the meat is drying out. Remove the cover now so it can reduce a little.
- Simmer for a further 45 minutes
- If it is too wet, just turn the heat up for a few minutes and reduce a little. I think this should be quite dry, as pictured.
- Remove from the wok, discarding the star anise, keep warm and rest for 5 minutes
This would be good cold too, maybe with a salad.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.