Beetroot rösti or beet rösti as it's probably known in the USA. Our friends recently cooked us this unusual variation on the Potato rosti. This is one of the best accompaniments I have cooked in ages, absolutely delicious with an almost toffee texture and sweetness and quite spectacular looking.
There are many ways to cook beetroot shown here.
- 900 g (2 lb) beetroots (3 very large or 4 to 6 medium) pre cooked but not in vinegar, see notes below.
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, leaves chopped, stems discarded
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup of plain flour, (you may not need it all)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Top and tail the beets and peel with a mandoline or potato peeler
- Grate them with a coarse grater or food processor.
- Press any excess water out of them using a sieve or a salad spinner.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat.
- Toss grated beets in bowl with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Gradually mix in the flour, adding just enough to combine the ingredients, stirring and tossing the mixture.
- With your hands, press the beet mixture into patties.
- Add the butter to the pan and once it begins to brown, add the beet patties.
- Turn the heat up a little, fry the patties for 10 minutes and allow them to crisp, shimmy the pan if they start to stick.
- Flip them over and fry for another 10 minutes.
Cut into slices and serve hot or at room temperature.
A dollop of crème fraîche is especially good if they are hot.
I have tried this recipe with raw beetroots and with pre cooked beetroots (not in vinegar though!). Everyones opinion was that the pre cooked version was sweeter and far superior. Pre-cooked beetroots tend to hold more moisture, so give them a good squeeze to remove any excess liquid before adding the flour.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#beetrootrasti #beetroots #beet #saladspinner #butter #flour #beets #foodprocessor #rosemary #grater #beetrootrosti