Beef, brown gravy and rice
- 350g stewing beef
- 120 g (1 pack) of boil in the bag rice (we find 1 bag does 2 people despite what the box says)
- 1 tablespoon Gravy granules
- Seasoning to taste (I usually use either Herbes de Provence or oregano on its own)
- Oil for frying
- Flash fry the beef so that it is sealed.
- Make up the gravy and season so it is of a watery consistency like chip shop gravy (this will reduce during cooking) and then pour it into the frying pan. Cover and reduce until the beef is cooked fully - usually about 20 minutes or so.
- Prepare rice as per packet instructions.
- Bon appetit!
Serve hot - put the rice on a pre-warmed plate, make a small well in the centre and spoon in the beef/gravy mixture.
You could add vegetables such as peas, sweetcorn etc or even sweet/bell peppers. Also, if you find that the beef is a bit tough, cook it as if you were making a stew. Then take the beef out of the water and use some of this water to make the gravy and finally reduce it until it thickens.
An American friend told me about this dish he had during his childhood, I asked him what ingredients were in it and I made it for him one day, and he was rather impressed!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.