Baked herrings (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
- 4 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 2 level teaspoons salt
- 2 level tablespoons finely chopped onions (if liked)
- A few peppercorns
- Season the inside of each herring with a little salt
- Sprinkle on the onion
- Pack closely into a greased pie dish or casserole
- Sprinkle the top with salt and a few peppercorns
- Cover with a piece of greaseproof paper and bake in a moderate oven (180° C / 350°F / Gas 4) for about 10 minutes
- Then remove paper and allow fish to brown for a further 5 minutes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.