Allergy free and gluten free sausage farinata with red onions and rosemary
Farinata is a rustic Italian flat bread from Liguria. Since it is always made with chickpea flour, it naturally gluten free. In this recipe, debbie&andrews sausages are added for extra flavour.
For a full Italianate experience, this should be called farinata con salsiccia e cipolle rosse.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 100g of chickpea flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 260mls water
- 2 debbie&andrews Harrogate 97% Pork sausages with the meat removed and broken into chunks
- 1⁄2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (or the equivalent dried)
- Preheat your oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Mix the chickpea flour with the salt and water. Whisk well to form a smooth batter and leave at room temperature for 1-4 hours for the chickpea to soak.
- 2 Preheat oven to 200◦C (fan)
- 3 Close to the end of the soaking time, cook the sliced onions and a teaspoon of
- oil in a frying pan on a moderate heat until softened (approx 12 mins). Remove the onions from the pan and then fry the sausage meat until browned all over (approx 4 mins)
- 4 Take a deep sided baking pan about 22cm x 22cm and pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place in the oven for 3 mins to prepare for cooking the farinata. Carefully remove from the oven and pour the batter into the hot pan, then evenly scatter over the sausage meat, onions and rosemary. Return the tray back into the oven and cook for 15 minutes till brown on top and firm to touch
- Remove from oven, allow to cool then cut into slices and serve
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of debbieandandrew.co.uk
Many thanks to debbie&andrew's sausages for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use the their recipes.