A bread machine or breadmaker is a home appliance for baking bread. It consists of a bread pan with a paddle mounted in the center, in a small special-purpose oven, with a control panel. While most bread machines have different cycles for different kinds of dough (including straight white bread, whole grain, European-style (sometimes labeled "French"), and dough-only for pizza dough and shaped loaves baked in the oven), many also have a timer to allow the bread machine to activate without operator attendance, and some high-end models allow the user to program a custom cycle.
We have a Panasonic SD 253 and it's never let us down. Thoroughly recommended.
A typical breadmaker recipe
And if you have never used a breadmaker before, here is a typical breadmaker recipe for a large white loaf:
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 500g strong white flour
- 25 g butter
- 1.5 tablespoons of milk powder
- 1.5 tablespoons of [sugar]]
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 350 ml water (or 350g water if weighing is easier)
Tip all of the above into the basket. Select: Bake, Large, Crust preference (light or dark) and then Start.
4 hours later, perfectly baked bread. It is as simple as that!
- We have a recipe section that is devoted to breadmaker recipes
- Panasonic SD253 Instructions.pdf - Australian & not great quality - better than none though.