Tiramisu is one of the most popular Italian desserts. It is made of savoiardi (sponge fingers) dipped in coffee and mascarpone cream . It's fairly heavy on the calories, though you could use single cream to reduce them a little!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 16 sponge fingers (savoiardi)
- 150 ml (5 oz) double cream
- 250 g (9 oz) mascarpone cream
- 200 ml strong espresso coffee at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum - brandy or Tia Maria
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- Coco powder (ideally in a shaker)
- Sprig of mint to garnish
- Whip the cream and 3 tablespoons icing sugar until well mixed
- Beat in the mascarpone, 1 tablespoon of the rum (or brandy or Tia maria) and the vanilla extract
- Mix the remaining sugar and rum (or brandy or Tia maria) into the coffee
- You can either make this directly into serving glasses or make in one dish (which is probably better for the waistline)
- Dip 4 fingers in the coffee and line the bottom of the dish (or 4 serving glasses)
- Add a layer of mascarpone mixture, a layer of soaked sponge fingers and so on
- Finish with a layer of mascarpone
- Pour any remaining coffee mixture over the top and dust with coco powder
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving
Garnish with mint leaves
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.