Sweet and sour cucumber salad with mint and chillies
- 1 cucumber
- 1.5 tablespoons white sugar
- 80 ml rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Juice and zest from ½ a lime
- 2 hot green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 shallots or small onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of mint leaves, finely chopped. Remove and discard the stalks.
- Salt to taste
- Use a speed peeler to remove strips of peel from the cucumber. Quarter the cucumber lengthways and chop finely - a food processor is good for this.
- Spread the sliced cucumber on a large plate and sprinkle liberally with fine salt. Leave them to stand for 15 minutes then rinse and drain well.
- Remove any excess moisture with a paper towel.
- In the serving bowl, mix the vinegar and sugar and whisk well until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lime juice and zest and salt to taste.
- Mix in the chillies, shallots, mints and cucumbers with the dressing and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Mix well before serving.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cucumber #sweetandsourcucumbersaladwithmintandchillies #zest #shallots #cucumbers #mintleaves #greenchillies #juice #whitesugar #papertowel #whitewinevinegar