Steak tartare is a meat dish made from finely chopped or ground raw beef. Tartare can also be made by thinly slicing a high grade of meat such as strip steak, marinating it in wine and spicing.
- ½ pound (225g) of quality beef (filet mignon) with all connective tissue removed.
- One egg yolk.
- One Teaspoon Worcestershire or Soy sauce.
- One Tablespoon whole grain mustard.
- 1-3 drops of hot pepper sauce, as desired.
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped onions.
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Finely chop the beef, or run twice through a meat grinder with ¼ inch (0.75cm) plate.
- Mix all the ingredients loosely and spread on good quality bread slices to make open-faced sandwiches. The steak tartare may also be served on buttered toast.
Serve on chilled plates.
This recipe contains raw egg and raw beef. Be advised that raw produce may cause food poisoning and could be especially hazardous for the elderly, small children, and pregnant women. Take the greatest care when preparing this dish and only use ingredients of the highest quality.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.