Spring onion oil
It will keep for 2 weeks if sealed and refrigerated
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) groundnut oil or vegetable oil (olive oil would be healthier, but not authentic)
- 16 spring onions,washed, trimmed and very finely sliced on the diagonal
- 2.5 cm (1") ginger root, peeled and sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the ginger and spring onions
- Fry for about 10 to 15 minutes until the spring onions turn golden
- Keep the heat on the low side to ensure you don't burn the ingredients as this may bring out unpleasant flavours.
- Allow to cool fully and then strain or sieve out all the solids
- Store in sealed jars in the fridge
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.