Spaghetti with garlic, courgettes, Parmesan and lemon
Some friends cooked this unusual vegetarian recipe for us recently and it was so good that I scribbled the recipe ideas down and have attempted to reproduce it here.
This will be another contender for our regular Ghent night!
- 200 g dried spaghetti
- Zest from 1 grapefruit or 2 lemons
- 3 courgettes, grated
- Bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 70g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 big cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 fresh green indian chillies, finely chopped (de-seeded if you dont want this too hot)
- Cook the spaghetti in lightly salted boiling water until al-dente (about 7 to 10 minutes)
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a frying pan or a wok and add a good grind of black pepper
- Fry the garlic for 3 minutes, don't let it brown
- Add the lemon zest and grated courgettes and cook until softened or done to your liking.
- Cooking the courgettes produces a lot of liquid. Ideally try reduce this a little over a high heat. If there is too much then drain some of it, but not all as it makes a very good sauce.
- Add the chopped chillies and stir fry for a few seconds, then add the drained pasta.
- Add the chopped parsley, mix well and serve
- Jack and Maureen
Following comments made by Julia that there were not enough courgettes, I've amended the recipe for 2 people, by reducing the pasta quantity and slightly reducing the amount of courgettes, but keeping the remaining ingredients the same. I thought this made a good balanced meal. It will be made again. If you don't cut the citrus fruit once you have removed the zest, they will be good for juicing for a few days, so they won't be wasted.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#courgettes #grated #spaghettiwithgarliccourgettesparmesanandlemon #pasta #zest #spaghetti #oliveoil #parsley #parmesancheese #fry #wok