Soupe à l’ail des Pyrénées (Pyrenean garlic soup)
Garlic soup is found throughout France, especially in the south and this recipe originates from the Pyrenees
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 Cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1½ litres vegetable or light chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoons ground Espelette pepper
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 6 free range eggs
- 12 slices stale baguette
- A little extra olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and fry quickly until the garlic is golden. Do not allow to brown.
- Add the stock, Espelette pepper, herbs and seasoning, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer, covered, for around 20 minutes. Remove the herbs.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, poach the eggs in a separate pan and lightly brown the slices of bread in a little oil.
- Place the bread in individual soup bowls, with a poached egg on top pour the soup over them.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.