Soupe à l’ail des Pyrénées (Pyrenean garlic soup)
Garlic soup is found throughout France, especially in the south and this recipe originates from the Pyrenees
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 Cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1½ litres vegetable or light chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoons ground Espelette pepper
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 6 free range eggs
- 12 slices stale baguette
- A little extra olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and fry quickly until the garlic is golden. Do not allow to brown.
- Add the stock, Espelette pepper, herbs and seasoning, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer, covered, for around 20 minutes. Remove the herbs.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, poach the eggs in a separate pan and lightly brown the slices of bread in a little oil.
- Place the bread in individual soup bowls, with a poached egg on top pour the soup over them.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.