Roast potatoes (V)
The best potatoes for roasting are Desirée, Romano, King Edward or Rooster
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F) (gas 7)
- Wash and peel the potatoes
- Place in a pan and cover with boiling water
- Add a pinch of salt and boil for 10 minutes
- Remove from the heat and drain in a colander
- Place the potatoes back in the pan and replace the lid
- Hold the pan in a cloth and shake the pan vigorously so that the potatoes become fluffy, the fluffy bits will become crunchy when roasted. Thank you Delia Smith!
- Add the bay leaves and peppercorns at this stage if making potato people
- Add the oil or fat to the roasting tin and heat on the hob until the oil is almost smoking
- Using tongs, turn the potatoes so they are all evenly covered with the oil or fat
- Place the roasting tin on the top shelf of the oven and roast for 45-50 minutes
Serve hot with a little sea salt sprinkled over them
- Sprinkle with a little chopped herbs such as rosemary or thyme.
- Make bay flavoured potato people by making eyes from peppercorns and ears from halved bay leaves. Make slices in the potatoes and slot the leaves in. This is much easier to do if the bay leaves are sliced in half.
Which are the best potatoes for roasting
- Maris Piper
- King Edward
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.