Roast pig's head
A pig's head is a cheap meal (£3.50 - 2009) though I think I'll be passing on this one. If anyone makes it, please do let us have the photos.
This recipe was taken from an undated cookery book, 'Modern practical cookery', circa 1900 from the look of it.
For the gravy
- Peel and slice the onions and place in a baking tin
- Wash the head and score the skin with a sharp knife
- Lay the head on the onions, pour the water over them and bake them in a moderate oven for two hours, basting the head every 15 minutes
- Wipe the apples and take out the cores with a small knife
- Stand the apples round the meat for the last half hour it is baking
- Place the head surrounded with apples, in a hot dish and put this in the oven to keep hot
- Pour off liquid
- Melt the dripping, stir in the flour, and fry until brown, stirring all the time
- Add ¾ of a pint of the cooking liquid and stir until it boils
- Boil for 3 minutes and serve in a sauce-boat
- How to cook a pig's head - a pictorial exercise!
- Pig's head, boiled (Mrs Beeton's) - Mrs Beeton's offering
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.