Pork steaks in calvados
While on holiday in France recently we discovered what a marvellous marinade calvados (apple brandy) was for pork steaks, so once home we tried a sort of tex-mex version to accompany the French haricot beans cooked in duck fat - very Basque!
THe meal was fantastic but the presentation could have been improved with a little green, maybe a sweet pepper?
- 2 x 160g boneless pork steaks
- 50 ml (or so) of calvados
- 2 tablespoons tex-mex rub
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoon masa harina - fine or coarse yellow cornmeal works almost as well for this
- Tenderise the meat with a meat tenderiser tool if you have one
- Place the steaks in a Lock and Lock box together with the calvados and the tex-mex rub -
- Leave to marinade in the fridge for an hour or more if possible shaking now and then to ensure a good cover
- Preheat the grill or griddle pan - I used a Breville electric grill
- Drain the pork steaks and discard the marinade - it could be used for making a sauce but I didn't need gravy this time
- Add the masa harina to a large place and press the steaks into the flour to coat
- Oil the grill with a little olive oil and griddle for about 8 minutes - turning once if not using a double-sided griddle
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.