Pickled peppers (V)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A jar of hot pickles is always available in Jamaican homes.
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked;
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
Peter Piper's Practical Principles of Plain and Perfect Pronunciation by John Harris (1756–1846)
- 12 green Scotch bonnet chillies
- 12 yellow Scotch bonnet chillies
- 12 red Scotch bonnet chillies
- 600 ml white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- Sterlise some jars, by washing and rinsing them in hot water and placing them in the oven for 30 minutes at its lowest temperature.
- Slice the peppers and place them in the jars.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil, and add the salt and allspice.
- Allow to cool, then pour over the peppers.
- Seal the lids tightly and store until needed.
The chillies will be ready to eat after about 6 weeks. I suggest you wear plastic gloves when slicing the chillies.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#scotchbonnetchillies #peppers #vinegar #pickles #allspiceberries #miseenplace #allspice #chillies #boil