Palóc leves (Mutton soup) (HC)
The Palóc were a tribe of people of Slovak origin who settled in north-eastern Hungary which where this soup originates.
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 900 g mutton
- 250g onions
- 285 ml sour cream
- 200g Green (French) beans
- 400g Potatoes
- A bay leaf
- Paprika, salt, caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon of flour]
- Chop and fry the onions a delicate brown, season with paprika.
- Cut the mutton in cubes, wash and put it into the saucepan with the fried onions.
- Season with a pinch of crushed caraway-seed and a bay leaf and stew slowly.
- Cut the potatoes in cubes, the green beans in small pieces, and cook each separately in salted water.
- When the vegetables are ready pour them, with the water they were boiled in, over the stewed meat, until the soup is the consistency of gulyás [goulash].
- Thicken with the sour cream in which a little flour has been mixed.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.