Lemon and bay leaf chicken with new potatoes
A complete family meal for £2.90 per serving. [April 2010]
- 2 bell peppers of any colour, deseeded and sliced
- 500 g new potatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed and chopped
- 1 tp olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts, skin removed
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 100 ml dry white wine or chicken stock, or a mix of both.
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Green salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
Prepared chicken breasts
- Spray or lightly grease a roasting tray with a little olive oil, scatter the peppers, new potatoes and onions and garlic and drizzle with olive oil and season.
- Toss the contents to mix well and roast for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Cut a deep slit in each chicken breast and fill with a bay leaf between two slices of lemon, drizzle with the white wine or stock and return to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, basting now and then until the chicken is properly cooked.
On its own or maybe with a small green salad
- Based on a Waitrose recipe card - April 2010
The alert amongst you will notice these are not new potatoes but what was in the kitchen at the time. Cut large potatoes into fairly small even-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate.
If you have free access to fresh bay leaves, use them! Scatter a handful into the vegetable mix at the start. The same for any left over lemon pieces, squeeze the lemon juice over the vegetables and scatter the pieces over the vegetables. They can be discarded at before serving but they add a little more aroma and flavour to the dish.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#newpotatoes #chicken #lemonandbayleafchickenwithnewpotatoes #garlic #lemon #greensalad #oliveoil #whitewine #bellpeppers #redonion #bayleaf