Leek and cheese envelope (MoF)
"Housekeeping's most important secret nowadays is to know how to make best use of the foods available. Here are some practical suggestions for improving your inside knowledge without undue expense." Ministry of food Cookery Calendar - April..May 1951
- 1 lb leeks
- 3 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- Rough puff pastry using 3 oz flour, 3 oz fat
- 1 oz margarine
- 1 oz flour
- ¼ pint milk
- Cut the leeks in half lenghtwise, then in half again and wash very thoroughly.
- Cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Make the sauce, add the leeks and all but 1 tablespoon of the cheese; set aside to cool.
- Roll out the pastry into a 10" square and spread the leek mixture over the centre
- Damp the edges of the pastry and close together to form an envelope
- Brush the top with milk, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in a hot oven (220° C - 425° F - Gas 7) for 25-30 minutes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.