Lebanese tomato soup (V)
The idea for this soup came from a (translated) Lebanese cookbook I found in a second-hand bookshop. It is fairly basic but would make a good start for something more elaborate.
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 7 oz long grain rice, washed
- 2 oz chopped onions
- 3 oz vegetable oil
- 9 oz ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 ½ pints cold water
- 1 oz tomato purée
- Cinnamon powder for garnish
- fry the onions in the oil until just browned, about 5 minutes
- In a large pot, add the tomatoes, rice, salt and water and bring to the boil over a fast heat
- Add the tomato paste, browned onions and and remaining oil
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes
Serve garnished with a little cinnamon powder
Nowadays, 2 tablespoons of salt seems to be a little excessive. I would suggest adding just a little and adjusting any seasoning at the end. You can add more but you can't take it away.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.