Herring sandwich spread (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
- 6 oz cooked, flaked herring
- ½ oz margarine, melted
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- ½ level tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 level tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Mash the ingredients together with a fork to form a smooth paste
- Use as required for sandwich filling or hot on toast
- If preferred the onion may be fried in the melted margarine before adding to the mixture
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#margarine #onion #parsley #vinegar #herring