Gluten free Victoria Sandwich (GF)
This is an all-time family favourite and well worth the bit of effort.
- 170 g/6oz Wellfoods Gluten Free Flour Alternative
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder, (Check its Gluten Free), sifted into the flour.
- 170 g/6oz Vanilla Sugar, (or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence added to caster sugar)
- 170 g/6oz Soft Margarine
- 3 Large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 180 g Filling of your choice, for example, Strawberry jam. (Beaten slightly to soften)
- 1 Teaspoon of caster sugar for dusting.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Grease and baseline 2 x 7" (18cm) sandwich tins.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until soft, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add the one third of the egg, and a spoon of flour, beat in with each addition.
- Add final spoon of flour and carefully fold into the mixture.
- Divide mixture between the tins, check the weight on scale.
- Level the tops with a knife, making a slight hollow in the centre of each.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20 minutes until golden and slightly shrinking away from the edges of the tins and when lightly pressed with a finger, should spring back into shape.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
- The sponge is delicate so handle with care.
- When completely cold, peel off the greaseproof paper and sandwich together with the filling of your choice. Dust with caster sugar.
- Finish the cake when cool by filling with butter cream and decorate with walnut pieces.
- This basic recipe could be divided into 15 or so bun cases, or iced to form a birthday cake.
This basic recipe could be divided into 15 or so bun cases, or iced to form a birthday cake.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.