Cuban style stuffed roast turkey
- 3.6 kg whole turkey (8 lbs)
- 3 cloves garlic for marinating
- 2 teaspoons salt for marinating turkey
- ½ lb. black beans
- 1 litre cups water
- 2 slices bacon cut in pieces (for base)
- 6 slices bacon whole (for turkey while baking)
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 onion cut in rings
- ½ green pepper chopped for base
- ½ green pepper in strips for cooking with beans
- 375 ml white rice (1.5 cups)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic for black beans
- 1 tablespoon Goya Adobo con pimienta
- 125 ml sour orange juice
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 teaspoon of black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 125 ml dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Clean the turkey and remove the parson's nose.
- Crush garlic with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Add orange juice and rub turkey inside and out with this mixture.
- Place onion rings on top and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours and if possible overnight.
- Wash beans and soak for a couple of hours.
- Cook in the same water until soft. together with the green pepper.
- Fry the two slices of bacon and in the same fat sauté the chopped onion, crushed garlic and chopped green pepper.
- Add to the softened beans. Add washed rice, salt, spices and bacon.
- Cook over medium heat until rice is dry but not quite done. It will finish cooking inside the turkey.
- Stuff turkey and sew up well.
- Pour wine over the turkey and place the 6 slices of bacon on top.
- Roast for 3 hours at 160° C (325° F - gas 3)
- Rest for 15 minutes before carving.
CubanCuisine.co.uk can provide all specialist items in this recipe via www.cubancuisine.co.uk, their recently updated Cuban ingredient supplies website. Just click on the product link in the recipe to take you to the Cookipedia ingredient description page from where you can order the item online via CubanCuisine.co.uk (worldwide deliveries)
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step by step roasting guide
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.