Cuban style stuffed roast turkey
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Thanks Carla - Cuban chicken - who'd a thought it? - Klapaucius
- 3.6 kg whole turkey (8 lbs)
- 3 cloves garlic for marinating
- 2 teaspoons salt for marinating turkey
- ½ lb. black beans
- 1 litre cups water
- 2 slices bacon cut in pieces (for base)
- 6 slices bacon whole (for turkey while baking)
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 onion cut in rings
- ½ green pepper chopped for base
- ½ green pepper in strips for cooking with beans
- 375 ml white rice (1.5 cups)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic for black beans
- 1 tablespoon Goya Adobo con pimienta
- 125 ml sour orange juice
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 teaspoon of black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 125 ml dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Clean the turkey and remove the parson's nose.
- Crush garlic with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Add orange juice and rub turkey inside and out with this mixture.
- Place onion rings on top and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours and if possible overnight.
- Wash beans and soak for a couple of hours.
- Cook in the same water until soft. together with the green pepper.
- Fry the two slices of bacon and in the same fat sauté the chopped onion, crushed garlic and chopped green pepper.
- Add to the softened beans. Add washed rice, salt, spices and bacon.
- Cook over medium heat until rice is dry but not quite done. It will finish cooking inside the turkey.
- Stuff turkey and sew up well.
- Pour wine over the turkey and place the 6 slices of bacon on top.
- Roast for 3 hours at 160° C (325° F - gas 3)
- Rest for 15 minutes before carving.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step by step roasting guide
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#turkey #bacon #greenpepper #cubanstylestuffedroastturkey #onion #beans #garlic #rice #blackbeans #roast #marinating