Crème caramel, the classic sweet recipe.
- 500 ml (18 fl oz) milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split top to bottom or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 free range eggs
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 150 g (5 oz) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- Add the milk to a pan, add the vanilla pod (or essence) and bring up to a slow simmer.
- remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 20 minutes - no need to wait if using vanilla essence.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks with 120 g (4 oz) of the sugar until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the vanilla milk.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the liquid into a jug (to make pouring easier).
- In a non-stick pan, add 1 tablespoon water and the remaining sugar and heat until caramelised.
- Remove from the heat and pour into individual moulds, rotating the moulds so the sides are also covered.
- Pour the custard into the moulds and place in a deep roasting tin and add boiling water to the tin so it half covers the moulds.
- Bake for 20 minutes, leave to cool and then turn out the moulds.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#vanilla #cramecaramel #egg #caramel #roasting #boiling #eggyolks #miseenplace #vanillaextract #simmer #bake