From Cookipedia(Redirected from Corn relish)
Relishes similar to this always seemed to be one of the garnishes on offer in the decent burger bars of my youth, though as the hamburger chains take over and the good burger bars disappear, so it seems, does this relish.
- 5 x 325g cans of sweetcorn or 18 cobs of sweetcorn
- 1 small white cabbage
- 1 small head of celery
- 4 medium onions
- 2 red sweet peppers
- 2 litres white wine or clear vinegar
- 500 g white sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Chilli flakes or cayenne pepper to taste (1 teaspoon gives a hint of heat)
- If using cobs of corn, cut the kernels off with a sharp knife
- De-seed the peppers
- Using a food processor equipped with a blade, chop the cabbage, celery, onions and peppers so they are about the same size as the corn kernels. You may need to pass then through a few times to get them to size
- Add all of the vegetables to a large pan, add half of the vinegar
- Add the remaining ingredients to the remaining vinegar and mix really well
- Add this mixture to the pan
- Bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for 45 minutes
- Allow to cool and spoon into sterilised jars, kilner jars are ideal for this.
- Like most pickles, this pickle will benefit from being stored for a week or two in a cool dark place before consuming.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.