This is basically a coffee and rum Slush Puppy!
- Mix the sugar and water in a heavy pan, heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Boil carefully for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the coffee and mix well.
- Allow to cool then refrigerate until very cold.
- Add a splash of rum at this stage.
- Add to your ice-cream maker and process as directed. About 1 hour should be fine for most machines.
- Freeze in a Lock&Lock type box.
To serve, scrape the surface with an Ice-cream scoop, scraping up the ice crystals. Serve in small, chilled dishes.
How to prevent home made ice cream from freezing solid in the freezer
Home made ice cream is usually reasonably soft and 'scoopable' straight out of the ice cream maker, but once it is placed in the freezer for more than a few hours it becomes a solid block of ice, effectively.
Unfortunately without using artificial additives it is not generally possible to keep it soft once you freeze it. I have tried many suggestions and they all fail miserably, apart from this one!
Place the hard-frozen ice cream in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before you want to use it and re-freeze it immediately you have scooped out what you need.
Admittedly this does require some planning ahead, but it does mean you'll have usable ice-cream.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.