Chocolate ice cream
A rich and luxurious ice cream with lots of taste and lots of calories!
- 1 cup sugar (250 ml) white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) coco powder
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) full fat milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) double cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add the eggs, sugar and coco to a food processor and blend until smooth
- Bring the milk to the boil in a heavy saucepan and remove from the heat.
- Run the food processor and slowly add the milk to the chocolate paste until all of the milk is added and well mixed.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan over a low heat and whisk until it thickens a little.
- Don't let it boil or you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a minutes of so.
- Pour through a sieve into a clean bowl and once cooled for 10 minutes, stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Add the cold mixture to your ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.
How to prevent home made ice cream from freezing solid in the freezer
Home made ice cream is usually reasonably soft and 'scoopable' straight out of the ice cream maker, but once it is placed in the freezer for more than a few hours it becomes a solid block of ice, effectively.
Unfortunately without using artificial additives it is not generally possible to keep it soft once you freeze it. I have tried many suggestions and they all fail miserably, apart from this one!
Place the hard-frozen ice cream in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before you want to use it and re-freeze it immediately you have scooped out what you need.
Admittedly this does require some planning ahead, but it does mean you'll have usable ice-cream.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chocolateicecream #icecream #boil #chocolate #foodprocessor #coco #eggs #fat #cream #whitesugar #vanillaextract