Cat food gravy recipe
The reason I have made this is because Jerry, one of our Sealpoint Siamese cats has only one tooth as a result of hereditary gingivitis. This means he tends to gobble all of his food and swallows it whole and then regurgitates it. Just for him we blend cat biscuits into a powder, which he is able to keep down. I want to enhance this 'biscuit dust' with a gravy made up of all the things that we know he loves.
Please note: This is only as a treat for 'now-and-then' and certainly should not be fed to cats or kittens all the time as they require a balanced diet, which this recipe is not.
This recipe is here an aide-mémoire form my benefit so I can replicate this recipe exactly, as it was such a success (as far as the cats were concerned!)
- 450 g pork ribs
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium carrot quartered lengthwise & chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 pints water beef oxo +1 teaspoon chick stock powder
- 1 tin of economy baked beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 " rosemary sprig
- Trim the ribs of any excess fat.
- Using the pressure cooker as a saucepan, heat it up, add the olive oil and a pinch of ground black pepper.
- Brown the ribs for 5 minutes, turning them often.
- Remove the ribs and set to one side.
- Add the butter, yes, I know! It is a treat. Saute the butter for a minute or so, don't allow it to burn.
- Add the stock, the ribs and the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, bring to 15 psi or high and cook for 2 hours.
- Allow the pressure to reduce by the natural release method.
- Separate the meat from the bones and add back to the gravy.
- Remove and discard any bones, the rosemary sprig and the bay leaf.
- Carefully check for any softer bones that may have disintegrated during the cooking process.
- Allow to cool completely and skim and discard any fat. There was no surface fat when I cooked this though.
- Add to a food processor and blend to a rough puree
This could be cooked in a slow-cooker on low for about 6 hours. Brown the ribs in a separate pan if you do this.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.