Canard aux navets (Duck with turnips)
This is a speciality of Tarn and Hérault in south-west France.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 1600g whole duck, ideally a barbary (muscovy)
- 100 g butter, or a mixture of butter and oil
- 1 kg young baby turnips
- Salt and pepper
- In a stew pan, cook the whole duck in the butter for about an hour. Season it and turn it regularly so that it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Meanwhile, peel the turnips and boil them whole for half-an-hour in salted water.
- When the duck has cooked for its one hour, drain the turnips and add them to the stew pan around the duck.
- Allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the duck is properly cooked.
- Serve hot.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.