A bit too veggie for me
I've never been a fan of aubergines - mostly air! Just an excuse to eat curry sauce! - Klapaucius
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 cm root ginger, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- * I recommend Cock Brand curry paste if you can get it
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 200g coconut milk (half a standard can)
- Freeze the remaining for later use
- Trim the aubergines and cut into bite-sized cubes
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok and stir-fry the onions, garlic and ginger for 3 or 4 minutes
- Add the aubergine and sauté for 5 minutes or until they start to take some colour
- Add the Curry paste and mix well
- Pour in 400 ml cold water, add the lime juice and zest, sugar and soy sauce and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and reheat the curry, being careful not to boil it.
Serve immediately with plain rice
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#auberginecurry #aubergines #curry #coconutmilk #zest #boil #lightsoysauce #plainrice #currypaste #rootginger #lime