Apple crumble recipe
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Apple crumble)
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices
- A handful of seasonal mixed fruit or sultanas
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar or molasses
- 100g softened butter, diced, plus a little extra for greasing
- 140 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g cornflakes
- 100 g caster sugar, plus ½ teaspoon for dusting
- 25 g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Grease a suitable baking dish with butter
- Arrange the apples in layers
- Sprinkle over the mixed fruit and brown sugar
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl and mix with the cornflakes, scrunching them up as you go. Add the butter and the sugar and knead into the breadcrumbs with your fingers.
- Spoon the crumble over the top of the fruit
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and dust with the extra sugar
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden
Serve hot with homemade custard.
The original recipe called for rolled porridge oats, but I changed it to cornflakes as I remember my mum making crumble like this, many years ago. This type of crumble does not hold together as well as a flour-type crumble, but it's all crunch and delicious.
A made in heaven fruit combination is to add a handful of topped and tailed blackcurrents to the apples before cooking, marvellous!
- Mango and ginger crumble
- Apple crumble recipe
- Apple crumble recipe (Mum's)
- Traditional crumble topping
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.